Skip to main content

Part Caterer for Saturday

It has been a roller coaster of a weekend! We finally went for Junior's hearing test and thankfully he did not need to be sedated cos he sat like a good boy listening via the earpiece. Thank God.

Went home, cooked lunch of our version of ayam masak merah. I still can't get the gravy texture same like my mum's. I wonder why. Makes me feel like getting a handheld blender and blend the onions etc.


Later that evening, was part 1 of project caterer for SIL's house: making brownies. I decided to add in a little twist and include red velvet swirl brownies too, but because it's a bit more tedious, I only made 2 batches. The normal cocoa brownies I made 4 batches and sprinkled with lots of chopped almonds. I used a cocoa recipe from ovenhaven. Below is the recipe:


Cocoa Brownies
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (not dutch processed)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt

Melt the butter, add in sugar and sift cocoa and mix well. Add in sifted flour, salt, vanilla and then eggs. Bake in an 8x8 inch pan, bake for 180 degrees Celsius for 20-22 min. I made twice the batter and put in 9x13 inch pan (see above picture!), but silly me didn't measure properly my oven's dimension. I thought my big oven can fit this, well technically yes it can fit but it can't turn round so it was stuck! Haha. I happily lined the pan with butter and baking paper, poured the batter and sprinkled almonds, then realised it can't turn. The horror. Best thing is I bought 2 of these trays!

A point to note. I hate using baking paper. I shall not use it ever again. Previously I had trouble with the paper taking all sorts of shapes, but I did it correctly this time round by greasing the pan so the paper sticks, and cutting the corners so the paper won't bunch up. But the paper stuck to the batter! Peeling the paper off the bottom is torturous!! Especially when the cake breaks apart! Gaaaaah. I'd rather grease my pan and that's it. The cakes come out better that way. Even the red velvet brownie turned out well without the paper.

Verdict: Husband approved! Even FIL! Yay! I decided not to use dutch processed cocoa and opted for callebaut cocoa cos I know my audience aren't dark chocolate fans. It was a hit! Easy to remember recipe too, the denominations are easy peasy.

So on to my bonus brownies, the red velvet swirl brownies! Red velvet is a fave of my SIL & BIL so I thought of baking it for them. I wanted to make same amounts for both, but Junior messed up my cream cheese by adding the red batter into my bowl of cream cheese and I had to scoop a lot out. That left me with like 1/2 a block cheese less, and hence less to go round. 

Here's my first tray, (8x8 inch this time round hurhur) with my best ever marbling effect! Yes I'm really bad with marble cakes.


I got the recipe from foodnetwork, by Sunny Anderson. I love her cookshow Cooking for Real. Here's the recipe:

Red Velvet Swirl Brownies
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa (I use dutch processed)
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp vinegar
2 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1 tbsp red colouring (or more, depends)

8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter, then add in sugar and sifted cocoa. I panicked when I saw the colour was so dark! But all was fine when I added flour. Haha. After flour & salt, add eggs, vinegar and colouring.

For the cream cheese topping, you need to whisk using electric mix to make sure there's no lumps. Cream the cheese with the sugar, then add in egg and cream till fluffy.

Pour 3/4 of the red velvet batter into an 8x8 inch pan, then put in the cream cheese mix. Add the remaining red velvet batter in blobs and swirl using the tip of a butter knife.

Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 35 minutes.


I doubled the recipe and I got one 8x8 inch pan, and one 7 inch round pan (above). This round pan's swirling effect was done by Junior with my help of course.

Verdict: Husband approved as well! YAY! I really like this brownie. I will make it again since it's so good aesthetically and taste-wise!

In other news, we've started Junior on chocolate milk now. Milo has been banned. Haha. I'm still looking out for a nice chocolate milk brand, so far I've tried Marigold and Magnolia and both aren't to my liking.


And here's baby boy with me on the way to his play gym! He loves taking the bus :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M