Skip to main content

Strawberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I can never leave Korean strawberries alone when they're on offer. So last Friday's lunchtime grocery shopping I bought 2 packs i.e. 500g. When I was in my second trimester of pregnancy, I ate Korean strawberries almost everyday, finishing a pack of 250g daily.

But I couldn't finish them this time round since I have a whole carton of oranges too (yes greedy much) so I decided to make strawberry cake to be brought for the cousins gathering. Junior was very accommodating too, sleeping the whole time I was preparing the strawberries. This is quite rare, I had time to boil them, drain & blitz in the food processor, and used the strawberry water to cook down to a syrup. The whole house smelled of strawberries it was just awesome!

I used this recipe by Confessions of A Foodie Bride, for a fresh strawberry cake. It is by far the most moist cake I've ever made! I totally love the texture! The colour of the cake wasn't pink, more of a very pale, brownish pink. Not inviting at all, but I love it anyway. The syrup though was a very bright red, maybe if there's more of the syrup the cake will be more pink.

For the strawberry puree:
500g very ripe strawberries
1-2 tsp sugar (optional)
  1. Roughly chop the strawberries, toss with sugar, and let sit for an hour or so until nice and juicy.
  2. Add 1/4 cup water and then simmer in a small sauce pan for 15-20 minutes, until the berries are very soft.
  3. Pour into a fine strainer set over a bowl. With a rubber spatula or spoon, scrape and press the strawberries through the strainer until all of the juice is in the bowl and you’re only left with the juiceless pulp.
  4. The recipe said discard the pulp, but I saved it, blitzed in the food processor and added into the cake batter. Transfer the juice back to the sauce pan. Reduce the liquid down to 1/2 cup and cool. I didn't measure 1/2 cup, I stopped when I got a syrupy viscosity.

For the cake:
1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla paste
2 1/4 cup cake flour, sifted
1 cup sugar (original calls for 1 3/4 cup but I thought my strawberries were sweet enough)
4 tsp baking powder
12 tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temp
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees and prepare your cupcakes. I used cupcakes and mini loaf pans.
  2. I didn't follow the cake making instructions. So this is what I did instead. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
  3. Add in eggs, one at a time and mix until incorporated. Add in your vanilla with the last egg.
  4. Mix in the flour and baking powder at slow speed. 
  5. Lastly, add strawberry puree and syrup and mix well using a spatula.
  6. Bake for about 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (time will vary).

For the cream cheese frosting:
250g cream cheese
125g butter
1 3/4 cups icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla paste


 This is my cream cheese frosting quality assessor. I didn't know he likes it so much!


Here he is again, scraping off frosting from cousin's cupcake!


The glorious strawberry cake. Totally love it! Was a hit too at the aunt's place! Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M